Schlagwort-Archive: zeichentrick

App Teaser Clip

These app teaser clips were part of a nice little project I did back in 2014. It was intended to tell a short story within four small clips as a teaser to announce the launch of an app.
Because the app never was published no one saw the clips so far. So, here they are put together as one. Enjoy.

App Teaser

 

Limited animation done in limited time

For some quiz shows of the german broadcast station Norddeutscher Rundfunk I produced numerous limited animation clips in the years 2007 to 2009.

Production process

With 35 to 45 seconds length each and a tight deadline, there was less than one and a half weeks to put one of them together. This included character design, storyboard, animatic, limited animation, backgrounds, clean up, coloration and compositing.

You will notice some strange compositions with parts of the screen staying empty. They result from the way the clips were used in the „NDR Bibelquiz“ and „NDR Deutschlandquiz“. Some prominents were inserted to my movies via green screen explaining the answers to the asked questions. The clips playing in the background told a little story or just supported the explanations visually.

 

Character Design

limited Animation      limited animation

The character design was big fun because I had to create loads of adaptions of famous historical and biblical people in a comic style, such as Jesus, Martin Luther (not King!), John the Baptist, Mary, Barbarossa, Karl Marx, Moses, the Devil, Brothers Grimm, Klaus Störtebecker, Alexander von Humboldt, Catherine the Great and others.

A nice project with quite a challenge in the planning process. I’d like to do more of those 😉

(Thanks to my team for the support at in betweening, digitising and coloration.)

 


Animation sequences of the showreel taken from the „NDR Bibelquiz“ and „NDR Deutschlandquiz“.
All rights reserved by Norddeutscher Rundfunk.

Music track „Swinging Hammock“ taken from freesfx.co.uk

Animation Concept for „U-Bahn Impressionen“

Ten years ago, back in 2002, I made an animation concept for a short film which is dealing with some scenes in an underground station. Actually I thought all data of it was completely lost together with the hard drive which broke with my former computer.

So, you can imagine my excitement when recently I found some printed screenshots of it after all the time by chance. The background was a two-tone drypoint print and the characters were animated with a kind of digital cut-out-animation in an ancient software called Moho (which got advanced to Anime Studio later).

Animation Concept

Animation Concept

Animation Concept

Animation Concept

The creation of „Die wilden Felder und der Krieger“ – Part 6

Setdesign

As I mentioned before, The wild fields and the warrior is divided in two narrative levels. I had to seperate them visually.

Below, you can see some images of the setdesign. In this step I defined the coloration, the lighting and tested a little bit concerning the textures, which I generated at last with some digitised structures of different sorts of paper.

Setdesign.

Setdesign.

Setdesign.

Setdesign.

Setdesign.

Setdesign.

Setdesign

These ornaments I used for the background layers of the flowerfield scenes.

 

Setdesign

And some more intricated ones…

The creation of „Die wilden Felder und der Krieger“ – Part 5

Design research and early linetests

At some point of the production it turned out that I would need two narrative levels.

One part should be animated in a classical frame-by-frame style. In those parts the story would be told only by the warriors acting (except of the dormouse and the crows of course as I mentioned before).

In the other part a narrator had to tell the story. It should help me to submit the more complicated contexts of the plot. Only in here the figures of the fields appear. I decided to animate those parts in a cross-fading technique and fit it together in After Effects. This had the useful sideeffect of not needing to animate the fields frame by frame. That would have been very complex.

I was trying different materials and techniques. The sequences of the warrior should look like they were inked on paper. I chose a monochrome coloration design for that.
The cross-fading parts should be a little bit more colourful and I wanted to have some more depth in the pictures. So I decided to split the screen into different layers which I used like theater culisses and inserted some camera movements to further the plasticity of the scenes.

To manage a smooth transition from one narrative level into another, I had to come up with some special actions in which something or somebody covers the camera for a moment.


Designtest with ink and pencil, 2005

 


Designtest with marker and pencil, 2005