Violá! I did these character sketches in preparation for storyboarding the ProSieben Superheroes Campagne.
Actually, these doodles weren’t used for the project but anyhow look good enough to me for posting them here.
.Here are some more old stuff graffiti sketches:
Recently, while searching for some of my typography stuff because I had to design the logo for a game, I stumbled across my old black books. It was fun to watch all the graffiti sketches and characters I designed those days – almost 20 years ago now…
It’ll take a few more months before I can show you pictures of my current projects, so I decided to put some of my early works here. Watch out for more.
The next few images show the process of a graffiti the way I did it:
As I mentioned before, The wild fields and the warrior is divided in two narrative levels. I had to seperate them visually.
Below, you can see some images of the setdesign. In this step I defined the coloration, the lighting and tested a little bit concerning the textures, which I generated at last with some digitised structures of different sorts of paper.
At some point of the production it turned out that I would need two narrative levels.
One part should be animated in a classical frame-by-frame style. In those parts the story would be told only by the warriors acting (except of the dormouse and the crows of course as I mentioned before).
In the other part a narrator had to tell the story. It should help me to submit the more complicated contexts of the plot. Only in here the figures of the fields appear. I decided to animate those parts in a cross-fading technique and fit it together in After Effects. This had the useful sideeffect of not needing to animate the fields frame by frame. That would have been very complex.
I was trying different materials and techniques. The sequences of the warrior should look like they were inked on paper. I chose a monochrome coloration design for that.
The cross-fading parts should be a little bit more colourful and I wanted to have some more depth in the pictures. So I decided to split the screen into different layers which I used like theater culisses and inserted some camera movements to further the plasticity of the scenes.
To manage a smooth transition from one narrative level into another, I had to come up with some special actions in which something or somebody covers the camera for a moment.
Designtest with ink and pencil, 2005
Designtest with marker and pencil, 2005
All figures you can see below are actually not mentioned in the original story. I added them to clarify specific parts of the plot.